Monday, April 27, 2009

Why dandelions make me feel grown up

S: I was working in the yard the other day and stopped to pick a dried dandelion flower. I was about to blow the little seed parachutes and watch them scatter. Then I realized that this "flower" was really a weed. And all those innocent wish-bearing parachutes would become more weeds. I threw it away in the trash. It was a sad moment. We've been in our house for about 9 months now, but it took a dandelion to really make me feel like a homeowner.
Z: I was the one encouraging Sarah to blow the seeds. She didn't mention that she did blow them...into the trash can like a concerned responsible adult wanting a well manicured lawn but still wanting to make a wish. I saw a bit of whimsy die that day.

3 comments:

  1. thanks for the intro to your blog -- LOVE the new house, by the way! beautiful!!!!

    i happened to read this blog today about dandelions as well... i never knew you could do this! perhaps it is a way to resurrect the dandelion whimsy in your adult life... i think it is the cure for me! ;)
    http://sycamorestirrings.blogspot.com/2009/04/dandelion-curls.html

    smiles,
    rj

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had this same realization this summer. It's so sad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Y'all are awesome! Great work on the house :)

    - kim rama

    ReplyDelete