Saturday, July 4, 2009

Needle Felting

I didn't know much about needle-felting until Zach bought me a needle felting kit last Christmas. Since then I've been experimenting and learning the process. Needle felting requires two things: wool roving and a barbed needle (made especially for felting). The wool roving is light and fluffy and reminds me of cotton candy. You felt the wool by stabbing it repeatedly with the barbed needle. This causes the wool fibers to stick to one another, or felt, and become dense. It's quite a long process.



Needle felting tools

My very first try I made a tiny bird with a little scarf. Then I made our cat, Cleo, which really creeped Zach out. After that a penguin.


Once I was fairly confident I new what I was doing, I made these:




Needle felted bear, bunny, and cat


They are currently for sale in my Etsy shop. Fingers crossed someone will think they are as cute as I do! Thanks to Zach for the magical Christmas gift that inspired these.

2 comments:

  1. I still think that bunny is so cute. Perfect for Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Needle felting is indeed a wonderful way to pass time. - SPD

    ReplyDelete