Thursday, June 3, 2010

Produce Bag Tutorial

I've had a couple requests for project tutorials, including my reusable produce bags. Here's the how-to:


Materials:
Mesh fabric (Update: The light-weight mesh didn't hold up as well as I would have liked. I've since made more bags using a slightly heavier polyester mesh)
2 spools of coordinating thread
Scissors or rotary cutter

Cut out a 13" x 36" piece of mesh. (Your bag will end up being approx 12" W by 17" H)


Using a straight stitch, hem both short ends of the fabric.


Fold fabric in half, right sides touching. Sew together long edges, making sure to backstitch at the beginning and end of your seam. To sew up the sides, I used a double stitch. I found that using a double needle strengthened the seam and cut down on time. However, you should experiment with your machine and find out which stitch works best. The mesh can be a little tricky to work with.




Trim any excess mesh from the edges, turn inside out, and you're done! If you'd like to make more than one size, use different colors of mesh so you can easily tell the difference.


In my next tutorial I'll share how to make nest place card holders.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Thanks, Sarah, for sharing! I can't wait to make these when I finally get back to doing more sewing.

    ReplyDelete