Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Monster Softie

For those of you who don't know what a softie is, it's basically a soft toy, often made out of felt. It's no secret I like working with wool and felt, so I decided to make our cousiphew Mason a monster softie for his first birthday. I liked this design by Nina but changed it up a bit so it looked more like a monster and less like a cat. I added all the facial features and heart before I sewed the two body pieces together. That way I was able to use my sewing machine for most of the work. I hand embroidered the mouth with a split stitch and the pupils using colonial knots. At first I tried french knots, but the colonial knots were a little larger and looked better.



One of the most helpful tips when sewing a softie is to cut your shape out after you sew it. Also make sure you have a fabric turner (basically a wooden chopstick). These usually come in bags of polyfil. You'll need that to poke out and stuff all the little spaces, like the tail and ears.


Happy Birthday Mason!

2 comments: