Monday, April 11, 2011

Transformer box in disguise

We have an electric transformer box in in the corner of our back yard. Not the most attractive thing to gaze at when enjoying a meal on the patio. We planted some cast iron plants around it last year, but they haven't done much to hide it.



We had thought about building a small fence in front of it, like many of our neighbors had done. However, whatever we built could only cover the front of the box, since we had to leave at least 8 feet of clearance on the side for the electric company. So I thought, why not use an old headboard? Hours after this idea popped into my head, I was driving home for work and saw a twin headboard in the parking lot of our local thrift store. They always have good prices so I stopped in to take a look, and I'm glad I did, because it was just $7! Before sealing the deal I made sure it was made of solid wood, not particle board, which wouldn't last long outdoors.

Before



Before putting it in the ground, we extended the bottom of the headboard with some scrap wood, then primed and sealed it with a coat of white paint.




After


No comments:

Post a Comment