Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Accent table

I've spray painted many things, but never a piece of furniture. I've always thought it was a bit of a waste of money, especially when we always have extra latex paint leftover from painting walls, doors and trim. I finally decided to give it a try with the pedestal table I purchased last year, which is now in our bedroom.

Before



I thought spray paint would be a much quicker and easier way to paint the table, since it has such a curvy base. Ordinarily, I would sand the table down with sandpaper, but took another shortcut and bought liquid sander. I figured the liquid sander along with a coat of primer would help the paint adhere well enough, plus the table top would be protected by glass.

I've heard Heirloom White spray paint mentioned on just about every home decor blog that I read, so I thought I'd try it out. In addition to the liquid sander, I purchased two cans of Heirloom White and 1 can of primer.


After wiping the table down with the liquid sander and letting it dry for 10 minutes, I applied a coat of primer. I then applied two coast of Heirloom White, which used about 1 1/2 cans of paint. The Heirloom White is actually a very nice shade of white, not too bright, not to creamy.

After


 

I think the color helps the table tie in better with our headboard and nightstands, which are also white, and keeps it from blending in with the dark wood floor.

I spent about $15 to repaint this $25 resale find, for a total of $40. Spray paint worked great for this project,  but it probably won't be my first choice for future projects. No doubt it's easier and quicker than brushing or rolling on paint, but in the end it's a bit more expensive and not quite as kind to the environment.

1 comment:

  1. It looks great! I might have to do this on some furniture.

    ReplyDelete