Monday, July 9, 2012

Master Bathroom: Before and After

You may remember our bright yellow bathroom. Yellow's not all bad, but this particular shade was anything but calming. 

Last weekend I couldn't stand it any more, and 9 months pregnant I decided the bathroom had to be painted (Don't worry, I made sure there was plenty of ventilation and wore a paint respirator the whole time). Let's just call it nesting.

Before




Originally, we had planned to replace the cabinets and vanity and put in a second sink. In the end we decided that the money would be best spent elsewhere and settled on painting the room and replacing some of the hardware and fixtures.


After





The walls are painted a warm gray (Behr's Wheat Bread), the same color we used in our bedroom and kitchen.

We purchased a double towel bar, towel ring and faucet in a heritage bronze finish- it's similar to oil rubbed bronze but not quite as dark. We kept the existing light fixtures and I spray painted them to match. I couldn't find a spray paint that was an exact match, so I painted them with a few coats of hammered copper then misted them with a light coat of oil rubbed bronze spray paint to darken them a bit. We also replaced the cabinet drawer pulls.


Since we weren't replacing the cabinets, I made a curtain for underneath the vanity to create more concealed storage. We also hung a medicine cabinet between the two mirrors. I'll be posting more details about the vanity curtain and medicine cabinet soon.

I actually enjoy spending time in this room now, and am glad to have a calming, completed space!

1 comment:

  1. You guys do neutrals so beautifully! And I am totally baffled by it because my brain just doesn't work that way. . . instead it screams 'More color!!'

    All that being said, another beautiful room for your house! You guys are amazing.

    ReplyDelete