Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Monday, May 28, 2012

Changing Table

We purchased an antique empire style dresser on craigslist, to use as a changing table in the nursery.

Before


It had a mirror, which we removed, but will probably put back on when we are no longer using it as a changing table. It also had casters on the bottom which we removed for safety. Poopy diaper + squirming baby + rolling dresser = bad news.

First we patched up the holes and dents with wood putty, then sanded with sandpaper. I used a belt sander to sand the dresser top and drawer fronts, then applied a liquid sander/deglosser to the rest of the dresser. I applied two coats of primer to the top and one coat to the rest of the dresser, then sanded it lightly with an extra fine grit sanding sponge. I used the leftover paint from our kitchen remodel, Sherwin Williams ProClassic in semigloss. It's held up very well on our kitchen cabinets, as well as the shelves in our office, and is not super shiny like some semi-gloss paints. I applied two coats of the semigloss, sanding in between coats, then let dry for about a week before putting the drawers back in and putting on the drawer pulls. (Drawer pulls are from Hobby Lobby).

After



Friday, May 25, 2012

New life for an old chair

We considered buying a glider or rocker for the nursery, but decided to recover a chair we already had, which belonged to my grandmother.

Before


I would have loved to keep the green fabric, and it would have even coordinated with the room, but it was in terrible shape. I did keep a piece of fabric from the back of the chair. I'm not sure what I'll do with it yet...I'll have to think up a sewing project.


I considered reupholstering it myself, but the foam was falling apart and it needed a lot of work, so I brought it in to a local upholstery shop. I had it recovered in a tan linen and asked them to shorten the skirt to 4", instead of floor-length. The fabric and labor together cost $300. I think this chair will get a lot of use so I'm glad we had it done by a professional, and the neutral color will make it easy to fit into another room if we ever move it out of the nursery.

After...almost


After it was reupholstered, I gave the legs a coat of primer and a couple coats of white paint.

After

Monday, May 14, 2012

Felted Soap

Felted soap is easy and affordable to make, and makes your bar soap last longer. It's like having a washcloth and soap in one! Wool also has the added benefits of being hypoallergenic and naturally antimicrobial.

There are a ton of tutorials out there on how to make felted soap. Basically, you take a bar of soap, wrap it tightly in wool roving, dunk it in hot water and start rubbing. To begin with, you can place it inside a piece of panty hose and tie off the ends, which helps hold the wool around the soap as you felt it. The whole process takes about 25 minutes. I used lavender scented bar soap, but you could use any type of soap. I did find it a little difficult to get good coverage on the corners. After I felted my bar for a few minutes, I added more wool to the corners and continued felting.



Monday, May 7, 2012

Happy Birthday to Me

My birthday was on Saturday and we celebrated with a Cinco de Mayo themed dinner (recipes courtesy of Paula Deen). It was all lovingly prepared by Zach; I didn't have to lift a finger.

We started with Mango, Jicama, and Cucumber Salad, followed by Chicken Tinga for the main course.



Saturday, May 5, 2012

28 weeks

We've made it to the third trimester!



Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Gum Drop Ottoman

Two nursery projects down, two more to go!
  • Curtains
  • Ottoman
  • Crib skirt
  • Changing table


I made a 24" ottoman for the nursery using Amy Butler's Gum Drop Pillow pattern. I'll have to post another picture of it next to the chair for scale, it's actually quite large. I found the pattern to be simple and straightforward. There are only two pattern pieces, the side panel and top panel. 


The fabric I used is Zig Zag Village Green/Natural by Premier Prints.

Similar ottomans sell for around $100 on etsy, but if you're willing and able to make your own you could do it for around $40, depending on the cost of your fabric. This thing requires a ton of polyfil, which adds up. I was skeptical that I would need all 120 oz of polyfil recommended in the pattern, but you really do need that much. I found the best price at Walmart, where you can get a 50 oz bag for under $9.

I closed the ottoman up with a slip stitch but you could add a zipper if you wanted the cover to be removable.  I plan to use this as a footrest while nursing, but it will also make a great floor cushion when baby girl gets older.