Thursday, December 19, 2013

Christening Gown

A friend (of a friend) had a baby girl a couple of months ago and asked if I could turn her wedding dress into a christening gown for her daughter. I thought it was such a sweet idea and was glad to help.


I used Burda Kids pattern 9649 . It's a very good pattern with easy to follow instructions and clear illustrations. However, the sizing does run a bit large.

I made a few modifications- a peter pan collar instead of a ruffle and extending the skirt lining to full length. I was able to make the gown entirely out of fabric from her wedding dress. The only thing not original to her wedding dress is the snaps.



I also made a matching bonnet (included in the same pattern).


They plan to use this gown for all of their children so I embroidered her daughter's name on the hem of the skirt lining, that way they can add each child's name as they wear it.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful idea and you did a great job! I must think about doing something similar with my future children...
    Selena

    ReplyDelete